Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The $30 Anagama Kiln

The expense of building a kiln to industry standards is extraordinary. I'm not loaded. I have built several kilns out of cinder blocks. While not as good as refractory, it's 99c a block. One block is the size of 4 alumina bricks, which cost about $7 a piece. You can see the savings for yourself. Now, as I am presently renting, I have to be able to move my kiln when I leave. So I can't use mortar. I use cob to fill cracks and make the kiln as airtight as possible. This kiln is designed with mobility and workability in mind. It is not designed to be a large permanent structure or top of the line. It is not a production kiln, it is hobby size, and the cinder and concrete will not hold up to constant use or high fire. That said, when you are limited by cost and need something that can be moved, this is your huckleberry. I will edit this after it is posted as I construct my most recent iteration to add photos and diagrams.

Materials:
3 concrete pavers 2'x1' 4"x2" ($21)
9 solid cinder blocks (a little less than $9)
mud
dried grass clippings

Tools:
shovel
small mattock
bucket or wheelbarrow
trowel
measuring tape
pointed sticks (whittle them)


You want to dig it out like this:
Then start building it like this:
Then put the top on:
Then you want to make cob. Use the dirt you dug out and mix it with dry grass clippings. Add water to make a thick wet mix. Fill all cracks and build the chimney in the back out of the cob until it is about 6 ft high. You want to form the cob chimney into a shallow cone with the top opening about 4 inches wide.



Next you want to form a lip on the top of the front of the firebox to direct the heat up and back. Use scrap wood or branches as supports until the cob dries. After it dries, and you burn out the supports, you can put a steel grate in the firebox to support burning wood and increase air flow.



Edited to reflect changes made after first firing.


2 comments:

  1. Results of first firing of $30 Anagama posted here:
    http://johnbrownmilitia.createaforum.com/pottery/results-of-firing-the-$30-anagama-kiln-to-cone-06-reduction/msg61/#msg61

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiln is named "Womb of Jord". Jord is the Norse Goddess of the Earth. This happened to come from a riddle I posed that nobody figured out.

    ReplyDelete